Oh Johnny Forever

Good Questions

Please send us your question if it's missing here. We'd greatly appreciate it.

Where are your precious metals from?

We work with precious metal traders in Manhattan, New York, who have longstanding relationships with producers at home and abroad. The vast majority of materials we use have been produced in the US.

What does the 925 stamp on my silver jewelry signify?

A 925 stamp signifies that 92.5% of the jewelry is sterling silver, and the remaining 7.5% is made of alloy metals. If you see a 925 stamp, this means the jewelry meets the quality standards of silver.

What does GF stand for?

GF is short for gold-filled and is commonly used in the precious metal trade. Gold-filled jewelry is jewelry composed of a solid layer of gold (typically constituting at least 5% of the item's total weight) mechanically bonded to a base of either sterling silver or some base metal. Most gold-filled pieces have the same appearance as high-karat gold, and gold-filled items, even with daily wear, can last 10 to 30 years though the layer of gold will eventually wear off exposing the metal underneath. 

What is gold-plating?

Gold-plating is a method of covering another type of metal with a very thin, almost microscopic, film of pure gold by electroplating it. Because gold is a soft metal, the downside of gold-plating is that the gold finish can begin to chip and wear away over time.

What's the difference between gold-filled and gold-plated jewelry?

The difference between gold-filled and gold-plated jewelry is simple: gold-filled jewelry is much more valuable and tarnish resistant. It generally does not flake off, rub off or turn colors. In fact, there is almost 100 percent more gold in gold-filled items than is found in gold-plated items, hence the price difference.

What does the K in 14K mean?

The “K” in e.g. 14K Yellow Gold stands for karat and is a purity measurement associated with gold. It should not be confused with carat which is a weight measurement for diamonds. Pure gold has 24 karats. Logically it consists of 100% gold. 14 karat gold therefore consists of 58.5% gold.

Can I swim and take showers with your earrings?

Please don't. Salt water, chlorine, and shampoo may attack the precious metals, and make them oxidize or change color. The same is true for hair sprays, gels, perfume and other cosmetics. 

How should I clean my earrings?

With toothpaste (plain without extras which can potentially scratch your jewelry). You can also clean your pieces with a jewelry polishing cloth of your choice. We recommend using Connoisseurs' UltraSoft Jewelry Polishing Cloth, a two-step cleaning system which removes tarnish and prevents further tarnish buildup. The cloths are made with 100% cotton fiber. 

I'm having a hard time putting on the earrings. Any advice on that?

It's true, it can be tricky. But practice will make perfect. We suggest working from back to front: place the wire post through your piercing. Hold on to the metal tube with your thumb and index while navigating the wire post into it with your other thumb and index finger. 

Why do you use continuous endless hoops that are tricky to put on?

It's an aesthetic choice and a safety precaution. Once they're properly closed there's almost no chance for loosing them. Be gentle and patient, and practice in front of the mirror.